Tuesday, March 13, 2012

8 Random Thoughts at 3:12 a.m.

* I miss when TV stations went off the air at 2 a.m. and would bid you goodnight and a good morning before playing the Star Spangled Banner.
* I could live the rest of my life perfectly happy if I had enough cash to live in a modest little home in some rural setting and spend my days gardening and tending to rabbits in a hutch or sitting on my porch and listening to the radio or reading my Bible. I'd only need to go into town for groceries.
* I really love to read, but reading puts me to sleep anymore. More than one or two chapters and I'm dozing like a baby full of mother's milk.
* I've always wanted one room of the apartment I live in to be a personal library or movie room. But I've never had enough money or an extra room to do that. Maybe one of these days.
* I wish I had the heavy old quilt my dad used to have when I was a kid. It had been in the family for so many years. But after he died, relatives swarmed his house like vultures and most of his things I never saw again.
* I miss my mom's homemade biscuits and skillet gravy for breakfast.
* I found out my grandpa passed away last year. Nobody bothered to tell me until recently. I hadn't seen him since 1985, when he and my mom had their falling out and he left California. I really miss him. He was a cool old guy. A spikey haired, blue eyed little Irishman who always had a song, a joke or an observation about life to share. And a quick temper you really didn't want to be on the other side of. I'm sorry I never managed to see you again, Pappy. I never knew where you went to until now. I passed near to Oklahoma so many times in the years between the late 80s and your passing, never knowing you were there.
* I also found out my Uncle Monroe died. Again, the family didn't see fit to tell me until so many years after it happened. Thanks for being kind to a little boy going through a hard time in his life and taking me hunting on the bayou. Although we werent blood kin, you were more family to me than the people I shared DNA with. Made me proud of my Creole half, by telling me all those great stories. Goodbye Unc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment